2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely sliced
1 red pepper, finely sliced
1 green pepper, finely sliced
2 zucchinis, sliced
2 slender eggplants, sliced
salt and pepper
6 sheets filo pastry
1/4 cup butter
1/3 cup fresh basil leaves, finely sliced
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
2 tbsp sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 415 F.
- Line a rectangular baking dish with tin foil and brush with melted butter.
- Saute onions, peppers, eggplant, eggplants in olive oil until brown and tender.
- Season with salt and pepper. Set aside to cool.
- Brush one sheet of filo pastry with melted butter, top with a second sheet. Repeat with remaining pastry, brushing with butter between each layer.
- Place vegetable mixture, cheese and basil in a row along one edge, about 5 cm in.
- Fold the side over the filling and roll tightly.
- Transfer the rolled strudel to baking sheet, seam side down. Brush with remaining butter. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. Best served hot.
Inspiration: The Essential Vegetarian Cookbook