The first time I tried this cake, it was so good I had to have the recipe. My sister-in-law served it with blueberries, strawberries and whip cream. I so glad she shared. She says it
s actually her mom's recipe. The orange zest flavour makes it really stand out. I don't own an angel food cake pan, so my version probably didn't turn out perfectly. In fact, it stuck to the pan and made a big mess. But the cake made for very lovely strawberry shortcake.
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
7 egg yolks
3/4 cup water
1/2 vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp orange rind zest
7 egg whites
- Preheat oven to 325 F. Grease angel food cake pan with butter.
- In a large bowl, mix together dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.)
- Separate eggs, dropping the yolks onto the flour mixture and the egg whites into the bowl of the stand mixer.
- Whisk the egg whites in the mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Hand whisk egg yolks, water, oil, vanilla and orange zest into the flour mixture.
- Gently fold egg whites into cake batter. Pour into pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until fork comes out clean.
Inspiration: Cindy's handwritten cookbook