Friday, June 17, 2005

What came first, the chicken or the egg?


It just seemed logical to start food writing about my favourite fast-food: two eggs prepared over-easy with buttered toast and garnished with ketchup. It’s a meal so ridiculously simple and obvious. Yet I eat it frequently.

Perhaps my love-affair with eggs and toast developed because I can make it as quickly as I can toast bread. When hunger sets in and time is short, making a full-fledged meal as fast as my toaster works is really appealing. I should also mention that any food I can slather ketchup on is a great comfort.

There’s a few tricks to making this meal quick and easy. First, buttering the toast should be done as efficiently as possible. Load the knife with enough butter to do one wide swoop over the entire surface. Never dab or reload the knife because the extra time required to do so will result in cold toast with unmelted butter. Definitely, a disappointment worth avoiding.

For the especially talented, learn to flip the eggs without a spatula. Not only will this shave off a few seconds of cooking time, it is really fun and impressive. Practice makes perfect. An old boss once told me that one slice of toast weighs about the same as two eggs. Just place a piece toast in a frying pan and flip away. When flipping eggs, just make sure they are not stuck to the bottom.

Ingredients:

2 eggs
non-stick spray
fresh ground pepper
2 slices of bread
butter
ketchup (optional)

  1. Heat frying pan and spray with non-stick spray.
  2. Toast bread in toaster.
  3. Crack eggs into frying pan and sprinkle with fresh ground pepper.
  4. Flip eggs once whites have cooked.
  5. Butter toast.
Serves one. Nutritional Opinion: A good source of protein, carbohydrates, fat, flavors.





1 comment:

Jocelyn:McAuliflower said...

Are you familiar with the Is My Blog Burning events? You should go check out Seattle Bon Vivant's website. She is hosting this month's IMBB- whose theme ingredient is eggs!