Friday, November 05, 2010

Easy chickpea curry...

I had no ideas of what to cook for dinner, so I pulled out some cookbooks, and the next thing I know, I'm making my first chickpea curry. It tastes a lot like the one at the Indian buffet we frequent and it's easy! Our house does smell of onions, but I did make curry for dinner so my family will be pleased.

Ingredients:

2 onions
4 garlic cloves
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp tumeric
1 tsp paprika
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp ground coriander
1 can chickpeas
2 cups diced tomatoes with juice
1 tsp garam masala


Directions:
  1. Slice onions, finely. crush the garlic. Heat oil in medium sauce pan. Add onion and garlic too pan, cook over medium heat, stirring, until soft.
  2. Add the chili powder, salt, tumeric, paprika, cumin and coriander. Stir over heat for one minute.
  3. Add chickpeas and undrained tomatoes, stir until combined.
  4. Simmer uncovered, over low heat, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  5. Stir in garam marsala. Simmer, covered, for another 10 minutes.
  6. Serve with rice or naan bread.

Inspiration: The Essential Vegetarian Cookbook

No comments: