Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Pumpkin Waffles


I found this recipe on my new favourite online destination, Pinterest. Someone pointed out that this recipe is so good that it has its own web site, just for the recipe. It's true. You can check it out here.

This recipe is good. Everyone at my house enjoyed it. It's perfect for thanksgiving, fall harvest, October, and for simply eating an orange vegetable. I recently learned that the Canada Food Guide recommends that each person should eat at least one serving of an orange and green vegetable everyday.

I also learned on a field-trip to the pumpkin patch that pumpkins, which are filled with seeds, are a fruit. Despite that technicality, I'm still going to count pumpkin as an orange vegetable and call these waffles yummy and nutritious.

I have to say, I never read the original recipe carefully enough to know that you were supposed to separate the eggs and beat the whites to stiff peaks. I never did that and I was still pretty darn pleased with the recipe. If you want to go to that trouble, check out the link I provided. If not, here's my version:

Ingredients:

1/4 cup light brown sugar
3 tbsp cornstarch
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 3/4 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 large eggs
1 cup whole milk
1 cup canned pumpkin puree
4 tbsp butter, melted

Directions:

1. Turn on the waffle iron.
2. Combine all ingredients in Kitchen Aid mixer and beat until smooth.
3. Once the waffle iron is hot, you’re ready to cook.


Inspiration: The Ultimate Pumpkin Waffle Recipe web site

No comments: