Wednesday, February 25, 2009

My Mom's Spaghetti Sauce

I've been eating this spaghetti sauce my whole life. My mom used to make it in huge batches and freeze it in Tupperware in the chest freezer. She'd probably triple this recipe or more when she made it.

The original recipe calls for diced tomatoes but I find you get a saucier sauce by using at least one can of crushed tomatoes. I also adjust the sugar to taste, to cut the bitterness of the tomato paste. 

Ingredients:

1 1/2 pounds ground beef
2 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped green pepper
1/2 cup chopped celery
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 (28-ounce) cans diced tomatoes, or crushed tomatoes
2 cans tomato paste
2/3 cup water
4 tsp dried parsley
2 tsp dried basil
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried marjoram
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Directions:

  1. In a large sauce pot, cook ground beef, onion, green pepper, celery and garlic, drain fat. Add everything else.
  2. Cover and simmer 30 minutes. Uncover and simmer 10 to 15 minutes, or until desired consistency.

Variation: Add red peppers, zucchini, carrots, etc.
Inspiration: Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book

No comments: