Thursday, April 15, 2010

Orzo Pasta Salad


My family loves Orzo Pasta Salad. I usually cheat and buy it from the salad bar at the grocery store. But I have also made this version too, which we first had at my sister-in-law's. She said she got it from the Barefoot Contessa's show on the Food Network. I searched the Internet, but could only come up with this dish that had dill, Orzo, and came from the Food Network. I'm pretty sure this is what she cooked--only served cold and without shrimp. It's definitely what I cook now. We think this pasta is great, especially my three-year-old. I'm so fortunate that she relishes strong flavours.

Ingredients:

3/4 pound orzo pasta (rice-shaped pasta)
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (3 lemons)
Freshly ground black pepper
2 pounds (16 to 18 count) shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 cup minced scallions, white and green parts
1 cup chopped fresh dill
1 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 hothouse cucumber, unpeeled, seeded, and medium-diced
1/2 cup small-diced red onion
3/4 pound good feta cheese, large diced

Directions:
  1. Prepare Orzo pasta according to package directions.
  2. Rinse pasta under cold water to cool and pour in a large bowl
  3. Add remaining ingredients and stir.


Inspiration: Adapted from Barefoot Contessa's Roasted Shrimp and Orzo recipe.

No comments: