Sunday, April 11, 2010

Turkish Zucchini Fritters

I finally attempted this Turkish classic. Finally! My Turkish husband was so pleased. I've made them twice now. The first time, I used cheddar cheese instead of feta and I didn't have any mint. But they were great. Just like my mother-in-law makes. The second time I used feta and found they were saltier.

Although there are lots of steps, I would say this is a fairly simple Turkish recipe because most Turkish recipes are labour-intensive. And this makes a great side dish or appetizer. Turkish people call appetizers Meze. My daughter likes to walk around snacking on these. Except for the oil they are fried in, I think these are quite nutritious. An easy way to eat green.

Ingredients:

3 large, firm zucchini, grated with their skins
1 onion, chopped or sliced
4-5 garlic cloves, crushed with salt
3 tbsp olive oil
3 eggs
3 tbsp flour
8 oz feta cheese, or cheddar cheese, crumbled or grated
1 large bunch of dill, chopped
1 large bunch of flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1 large bunch of mint, chopped (optional)
1/2 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp sweet paprika
salt and pepper

Directions:

  1. Grate the zucchini and sprinkle with salt. Let weep for five minutes, to remove bitter juices, then squeeze out and drain the excess water. (Meanwhile chop the onion and mince the garlic.)
  2. Heat olive oil in frying pan and fry the onion, garlic, and zucchini until they begin to colour. (Meanwhile, chop the fresh herbs.)
  3. In a large bowl, beat the eggs with flour to make a smooth batter.
  4. Stir in cheese, herbs, and spices. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
  5. Stir in the zucchini mixture.
  6. Heat oil in frying pan.
  7. Drop spoonful or two of the zucchini mixture into the oil and fry until golden brown on both sides. I used a 1/4 cup scoop, and had to flatten the batter out into ovals with the back of the scoop.
  8. Drain on kitchen paper and serve hot or cold.


Inspiration: Classic Turkish Cooking, pg 102, by Ghillie Basan

No comments: