Saturday, October 24, 2009

Ghostly Brownies

I'm so proud of myself for actually trying this recipe only days after discovering it, rather than stashing it away and forgetting about it. I first saw it at my sister-in-law's house in a Robinhood Flour recipe booklet. Then I was happy to find my own copy of the booklet at the grocery store.

This recipe was definitely a challenge to my culinary skills, or lack thereof. The brownie part was easy; I did it with my toddler. The meringue was harder, perhaps because I tried doing it with my toddler. I thought we could separate eggs using our egg separator gadget. I would crack the eggs while she held and tapped the separator. Then she would watch the meringues fluff up in the mixer.

Instead, she got confused and dumped the egg yolk into the mixer instead of the compost. Another time she bumped me while I was cracking the egg and the yolk broke into the whites. Then I didn't read the recipe carefully and I added the sugar before beating the egg whites to soft peaks. A big mistake. I got out Play Doh for my kid and started over by myself.

Piping the meringue ghosts was difficult too, or rather messy. I should have filled my piping bag completely and then piped. I filled as I went and every part of my hands ended up covered in meringue. I got the job done, but it was a mess. Definitely something I couldn't do with a toddler.

This is definitely a dessert to please any toddler. It's something that would be great to take along to any Halloween party or event.

Ingredients:

Brownies:
1 1/4 cups chocolate chips
3/4 cup butter
3 eggs
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup chocolate chips

Meringue:
4 egg whites
1 cup sugar
1 tbsp corn starch
16-20 chocolate chips


Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9-inch spring form pan.
  2. Melt chocolate chips with butter. Reserve.
  3. Whisk eggs with sugar and vanilla in a large bowl. Beat in chocolate and butter mixture. Stir in remaining ingredients.
  4. Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake in preheated oven 45-50 minutes. Remove from oven.
  5. Once brownies are made, beat egg whites using mixer at high speed until soft peaks form. Slowly beat in sugar, continuing to beat until stiff peaks form. Gently fold in corn starch. Spoon 1 cup meringue over baked brownies. Place remaining meringue into piping bag with a ½” plain tip, or place in heavy plastic bag and cut a ½” hole in one corner. Pipe about 8-10 ghostly shapes over the prepared brownies. Add chocolate chips to the meringue peaks for eyes.
  6. Bake again in preheated oven 10-12 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned.

Inspiration: Robinhood Flour recipe booklet

No comments: