Thursday, October 29, 2009

Granny's Frikadellars

These meatballs are a hit with my husband and my preschooler. My husband loved them and raved about them. I don't dare tell him it's apple sauce, wine and ketchup making them taste like that. And they are the easiest meatballs I've ever made because they brown in the oven by themselves. I plan to brown all my meatballs this way from now on.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 cup apple sauce
1/2 tsp salt
dash of pepper
4 tbsp minced onion
2 eggs
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 pound ground beef
6 tbsp white wine or water

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 425 F.
  2. Combine the bread crumbs with egg, 4 tbsp apple sauce, 1 tbsp ketchup and seasonings. Mix thoroughly.
  3. Add meat and onion, blend.
  4. Form into 1-inch balls and arrange in a shallow baking pan.
  5. Bake for 15 minutes.
  6. Combine remaining applesauce, ketchup and wine. Spoon over meatballs and bake 10 minutes longer.
Inspiration: Granny gave me this recipe in a recipe book she made for my wedding shower.

No comments: