Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Vanilla Buttercream

This buttercream is a great alternative to the Wilton buttercream I learned to make for icing cakes. That recipe called for vegetable shortening and I'm trying to avoid ingesting shortening where possible. If I can't wash it away easily, I don't want to eat it, and shortening doesn't wash away easily. I halfed the recipe, because I only made 18 cupcakes. It was plenty. I also froze and refrigerated this recipe and it was great.

Ingredients:

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
6 to 8 cups confectioner's sugar
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Directions:

  1. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter until smooth and creamy, 2 to 3 minutes.
  2. With mixer on low speed, add 6 cups sugar, milk, and vanilla; mix until light and fluffy. If necessary, gradually add remaining 2 cups sugar to reach desired consistency.
Makes enough for 30 cupcakes.


Inspiration: Martha Stewart web site.

No comments: