When I first made the recipe, I reduced the oil to 3/4 cup and didn't include walnuts. The cupcakes were nice and firm, with rounded tops ideal for icing. The second time I made the recipe, I added 1 cup oil, vanilla and a whole can of crushed pineapple instead of half a can. (I figure if I have to open a can of something, it's better to use it all.) With the extra oil and pineapple, the cupcakes turned out flat, super moist and soft, almost too soft for icing. They were sweet enough with icing.
1 cup oil
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 3/4 cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup carrot, finely grated (not shredded)
1 cup golden raisins, soaked in water for 15 minutes if dry
1/2 cup pineapple, crushed
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
1 8 oz package of cream cheese, room temperature
2 cups icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Beat oil, eggs, brown sugar and vanilla in electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon. Add to egg mixture and beat for two minutes.
- Mix in carrot, raisins, and pineapple.
- Bake for 18 minutes and let cool completely before icing.
- In food processor, beat cream cheese, icing sugar and vanilla together until smooth. Add more icing sugar if necessary.
Inspiration: Some blog somewhere.